Thursday, July 31, 2008

The mental health profession

I know the mental health profession far to well. I’ve been taken in by the system and spat out the other end. I’ve had more therapists than boyfriends. I’ve taken pills and weaned myself off pills. I’m glad to say I’ve never been hospitalised though I know people who have, and I know members of my family who should have been hospitalised but never were. And I know most of them are crazy themselves. Not just crazy, they’re dangerous. And I know because my mother is one, and she’s the reason why I needed therapy in the first place. Next time I have to find a therapist I think the tables should be turned. I’m going to ask them questions, uncomfortable ones. Questions like: why were you attracted to the profession? Have you ever had major depression? What were your parents like? Are you married? Are you happy with your life? Do you have a personality disorder???

1 comment:

Lost said...

Yea, I kinda see your point of view, and I feel for you. I've have/had taken more pills with relation to "boyfriends" but to be honest, being in a relationship is hard work. It take, time, effort and dedication, and if you dont have that..then say go bye to having a good relationship. therapist are the craziest people on the face of the planet.